These may be the coolest painted Trollbloods I have ever seen. What I would give to be able to paint even half this well. Breathtaking.
lizardmen Warhammer Fantasy Hordes Trollbloods WarmaHordes Painting Battle Report Ogre Kingdoms Theoryhammer Assembly Skaven Slann Mage-Priest Daemons of Chaos Competition warhammer Army List Borka Kegslayer Dark Elves Kriestone Bearer Pyg Burrowers Skorne Stone Scribe Chronicler Warmachine Cold One Cavalry Cygnar Dire Troll Bomber Dire Troll Mauler Empire Engine of the Gods Khador Legion of Everblight News Orks Rant Review Salamanders Saurus Warriors Swing Dancing Temple Guard Trollbloods Warpack Trollkin Champions Unboxing vampire counts
Sunday, February 10, 2013
Took a break from my war wagon and went back to working on my Mountain King. I've got the major rock portions and the skin color done I think. I've got the base layer on just about everything else. So all that's left is some shading and highlighting on the smaller bits and finishing assembly The chains should be really easy as I'm going to steal the color from my battle wagon for them.
I continue to be terrible at all shading and highlighting techniques that are not simple drybrushing and washing. I've been getting better at paint mixing and thinning to get the right consistency for each color I want but I remain absolutely awful at figuring out how to get a good color progression. This is proving particularly difficult with my Retribution army.
With my Retribution I was wanting to go for a black, white, and purple color scheme. The idea was that all armor type components would be black (jacks and power armor on battle mages, invictors, sentinels, etc.), the standard green cloth would be replaced by white, and any glowy bits would be done in a purple.
This worked out really well for my Arcantrik Force Generator so far. The only problem is the lack of depth. The pictures below shows a single layer of all of the base colors.
I think the colors really work together and it looks awesome but mechanical things don't have nearly as many crevices and edges as organic things like the Mountain King. As a result, attempts to simply dry brush and wash are proving to not be very effective when using gradual differences in color (i.e. mixing thamar black and coal black then drybrushing with it). That particular combination you couldn't even tell I had done anything to it. I may need to try skipping the mixing and going straight for the highlight color to get the desired effect.
Below is a portion of my Hyperion that I tried applying s couple of thin layers of coal black mixed with the thamar black to just the raised portions on. It wasn't terribly effective. From a distance it doesn't look like anything and up close you can see clear lines of demarcation where the color suddenly changes.
At this point I'm really not sure what to try next for the Retribution stuff.
Posted by Minute at 11:21 PM
Sunday, February 3, 2013
Been hard at work on my Trollkin War Wagon. It's coming along really well.
I based the metal with P3 Pig Iron and followed that up with a mixture of P3 Pig Iron, P3 Thamar Black, and P3 Mixing Medium. I then gave the whole thing a heavy wash of Citadel Badab Black and dry brushed on some P3 Cold Steel.
The wood was based in P3 Bloodstone with a wash made up of P3 Bloodstone, P3 Cygnar Blue Base, and P3 Mixing Medium. I then drybrushed the wood with a mixture of P3 Bloodstone and P3 Menoth White Base. The portion of wood on the gun has not had the wash or highlighting applied to it yet as I originally missed that portion of wood when I went over the model.
Overall I'm pretty happy with the way the model has turned out so far. I have mixed feelings bout whether or not I want to try to replicate the rust and discoloration from the studio paint scheme or if I want to leave it as is. The studio paint scheme also features what appears to be some bronze areas and I'm not sure if I want to do that either. I'll need to find something to test rusty effects on as I don't want to inadvertently ruin any section of what I've already got done and have to reapply the steps if it doesn't work out.
Posted by Minute at 12:59 PM